Sat, Mar 26|
USAW Level 2 Certification - Winthrop University, SC - Leo
In this course, participants will delve deeper into topics covered in the Level 1 course, as well as learn about essentials such as competition preparation, proper nutrition and mental training for weightlifters.
Time & Location
Mar 26, 2022, 8:00 AM – Mar 27, 2022, 5:00 PM
Winthrop University, 701 Oakland Ave, Rock Hill, SC 29730, USA
About the Event
In this course, participants will delve deeper into topics covered in the Level 1 course, as well as learn about essentials such as organizing and selecting exercises for weightlifting, biomechanical analysis of weightlifting movements, and competition preparation. Over the course of two days, expert USAW coaches will cover how to build periodized training plans for any sport using scientifically based principles as well as how to systematically detect, correct, and cue technique flaws.
In addition to covering these “what to coach” topics, this course will focus on helping coaches further refine “how to coach” skills related to effective communication such as creating a positive training environment, delivering effective feedback, and engaging in reflective practice. Participants will be frequently asked to reflect on their learning and consider ways to incorporate aspects of the course into their coaching. While there are downloadable .pdf resources available in the online course, a downloadable manual is not provided. This is to ensure all coaches always have access to the most current content.
Participants will actively participate in hands-on coaching sessions, collaboratively create blocks of training for a variety of athletes using case studies, analyze weightlifting videos, and practice coaching tactics in a mock competition. Attending this course will help you set up your athletes for long-term success.
Course Materials: The course is housed digitally inside the USAW Learning Academy and consists of extensive interactive course modules, which can be accessed two weeks before the course begins and for as long as the coach remains certified.
Course modules include:
· Anatomy and Physiology
· Biomechanics of Weightlifting
· Major Training Principles
· Benefits and Basis of Periodization
· Manipulating Acute Training Variables
· Effective Communication
· Advanced Weightlifting Technique
· How to Detect and Correct Errors
· Competition Coaching
· Organizing and Selecting Exercises
Course Learning Outcomes:
The course aims broadly to develop coaches who are informed, creative, thoughtful, flexible, adaptable, and reflective. At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Analyze lifting technique through the lens of biomechanics to examine the rationale behind the Level 1 recommendations
- Individualize weightlifting technique to maximize performance
- Deliver highly effective feedback to better serve your athletes
- Apply the scientific underpinnings of periodization to improve programming skills
- Create periodized training for weightlifting and sport performance athletes
- Instruct/coach/manage a lifter at a national level competition
Prerequisites: To enroll in this course, participants must have obtained the USA Weightlifting Level 1 certification, be over the age of 17, and be a current Coach or Coach and Athlete member of USAW. As of 9/1/20 a current USADA Coaches Advantage Tutorial is also required to register for a Level 2 course. The USADA course takes approximately 20 minutes to complete. Please go to our Learning Academy to complete the course. The USADA course must be listed as “current” in your BARS profile prior to registering for the Level 2 course.
CEUs/CECs: This course has a total of 16 contact hours and is eligible for CEUs and CECs through a variety of professional organizations. For exact reporting requirements, please see FAQs here.
Course Schedule: Day 1: 8:00am to 5:00pm and Day 2: 8:00am to 5:00pm
Requirements for Certification: After completing the course, participants must pass the written course certification exam to earn the USAW Level 2 coach certification. For more information about the certification process, please visit our FAQs here.
Requirements for USAW National Coach Designation: USAW Level 2 coaches who successfully complete the background check and athlete performance requirements will receive the USAW National Coach designation.
Who Should Take this Course?
· Weightlifting coaches
· Strength and conditioning coaches
· Personal trainers
· Sport performance coaches
· College and university students
· Functional fitness coaches
Registration Information and Pricing: $549
· All course participants must be current Coach or Coach and Athlete USAW members.
· Pre-registration is required for all courses. On-site registration is not allowed.
· The registration deadline for any course is three business days prior to the first day of the course.
· Registration costs are nonrefundable. In the rare event a course is cancelled, USA Weightlifting is not responsible for any prepaid expenses incurred by participant. A refund or transfer to another offering is available under this circumstance.
Benefits of Being USA Weightlifting Level 2 Certified
· Industry recognition as an advanced weightlifting coach from the sole governing authority on weightlifting in the USA
· Access to free, regular continuing education opportunities provided online exclusively for Level 2 coaches
· Affordable and comprehensive liability insurance
· High level of credibility as a competent weightlifting coach conferred to potential employers and athletes
· Exclusive discounts for products, events, and services with USAW and USAW partners and sponsors
Why Attend a USAW Coaching Course?
· USA Weightlifting is the original and only provider of weightlifting coaching certification in the USA
· Optimal blend of high quality content, experienced coaches, and hands-on learning
· We are invested in your development and will support you as you grow in your career